Sunday, May 17, 2009

What is Family?

That is my question to you. What does family mean to you? For me, it's connection. It's knowing who I am and where I belong. I love my family. I wish I heard from them more often so that I can strengthen my bond with them. I some respects I am responsible for hearing from them. Communication is a two way street. When Heather started this blog, I was excited because I saw this as a way for all of us to communicate with each other. Remember, Brent and I are 800+ miles away and picking up the phone isn't always the easiest thing to do. For me, I write better than I speak and the written word flows more easily than those coming from my mouth. Besides that, I can print the words from the screen to read over and over again. I can't do that with a phone call. Please post! I want to know what you're all doing. I want to make my prayers more meaningful rather than praying that your needs are being met. I would love to hear updates on Sean's pursuit to continuing education or seeing more pictures of what the nieces and nephews are up to. I would love to hear how Jenny and Clint are liking their new home and pictures (I didn't get an opportunity to see their new home when we were down in December). Heather, I love your family blog site and I check it often. I feel like you have done a lot to keep everyone connected. You have made efforts to let everyone around you know whats going on with one central location without having to tell the story over and over again. It was especially useful when you were having your heart surgery. We appreciated having that to keep us updated. My hope is that we can be more consistent with our own blog so that you can have updated information too. I haven't been as consistent as Heather but she has certainly set the bar high. Mom and Dad, I hope that you are reading this too. I love you. You are my Mom and Dad as much as my own parents are and in some respects, much more. I want to know what you guys are doing too. I would love to read some insights of how you are seeing things. You are the heads of this family and we can all benefit from your wisdom and guidance and what better place to do it than here. Like I said earlier, we can print it and read it over and over again.

I know it's not easy to stay connected and that it what Satan wants. It is his plan to destroy families and if he has his way, we would be miserable like him. Let's fight this. Let's stay close. We all need it. Our children are going to need it as they grow and become adults too. Let us be the example of what family is.

So, what is family to you?

I love you ALL! I love the Stoddard family. I have always felt good and at peace about my choice to marry Brent. He has been an excellent friend, husband and father and I know it's because of the example of his family. I know he developed his love of the gospel in your home growing up and I want my children to have a love for the gospel in our home but also from their extended family. The family is central in Heavenly Father's plan for a purpose. We are the core. Let us remember this and continue to strengthen ours.

No comments: