Sunday, May 24, 2009

Something I Read

Hey Everyone,

I was reading my conference edition of the Ensign and came across this quote from Elder Cook's talk "Our Father's Plan-Big Enough for All His Children." He quoted John 16:55 which says, "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (I read this address shortly after Katina posted her comments of what they're struggling through right now and I've been meaning to post it for a day or two.) I love this scripture because it tells me that not matter the pain I'm going through, I know that I can turn to my Savior and He knows what I am going through and that can give me peace. And, boy, does that cheer me up. We suffer trials and tribulation for our growth but knowing that Christ knows our pain and struggles lets us know where we can turn for relief.

I also loved this other quote from Elder Cook's talk too, "...be loving and kind to members of our own faith, regardless of their level of commitment or activity. The Savior has made it clear that we are not to judge each other. This is especially true of members of our own families. Our obligation is to love and teach and never give up. The Lord made salvation 'free to all men' but has 'commanded his people that they should persuade all men to repentance.'"

My family and our Stoddard family (and a few extentions) are perfect examples of this comment. Those of us that are stronger in the gospel need not "force feed" the gospel to those that are still trying to find out where they fit in. Today I was feeding Kate at the table and as I struggled to make sure that she was getting what she needs to sustain her energy if not add weight to her tiny body, I realized that I couldn't force open her mouth and put food into it with the expectation that she would swallow it down. She still has choice. A time or two, she would open her mouth and the food would drop into her lap or she would actually swallow it. The same holds true with those we share the gospel with. We can share our testimony with those we love but we can't force them to take it in with the expectation that they will let it sink into their hearts. They still have choice but regardless of that choice, we still love them and share our testimonies if only by our examples.

I love reading the conference addresses. It brings a different light on what I actually heard during conference. I love to read the addresses along with the notes that I took during the sessions to see what more I have learned since the intial address. It's fun to see if the goals I wrote on those days were actually met and applied to my life to this point. For this talk, the goal I made was to stop judging my family (especially my own siblings and parents). I didn't grow up in an ideal home but Heavenly Father didn't leave me alone and without blessings. Regardless of what my childhood was, I know that He loved me and blessed me with parents that tried to make the best of what they had. Could they have done better? Maybe, but I still love them and I will always treasure that they taught me good basic values. Because of them, I love the gospel and developed my own testimony. Because of them, I learned what a parent should be and try to be the mom my Heavenly Father wants me to be for my own children. My parents are good people. They are each in their own struggles, physically and spiritually, but as they continue down their paths, I hope that in some small way, I might be able to help them without them feeling like that I am "force feeding" them.

What was something you were able to read and apply from conference? I would like to know. Our best learning comes from sharing what we have learned with others.

I love you and I look forward to reading your responses.

Nicole

No comments: